The Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung’s Human Rights Award 2015 recognizes Ilan Sadeh’s and Hassan Atamna’s long-standing and persistent commitment to peace-building between and peaceful coexistence of Jews and Arabs in Israel.
The Announcement of the Presentation of the FES Human Rights Award 2015 Mr. Hassan Atamna, Head of the Local Council of Kafr Qara, and Mr. Ilan Sadeh, Head of the Menashe Regional Council took place in the presence of Dr. Werner Puschra, Director of FES Israel, and the German Ambassador H.E. Dr. Clemens von Goetze.
The Program of the Event included:
- Greetings and Presentation of the Invitation to the Award Ceremony of the FES Human Rights Award 2015 to the laureates by Dr. Werner Puschra, Director of FES Israel
- Greetings by the German Ambassador H.E. Dr. Clemens von Goetze
- Presentation of the Shared Communities Project of Givat Haviva by Mr. Yaniv Sagee, Director Givat Haviva, and Mr. Riad Kabha, Director of Jewish-Arab Center for Peace, Givat Haviva
- Short Film about the cooperation between the communities
- Acceptance speeches: Mr. Hassan Atamna, Head of the Local Council of Kfar Qara and Mr. Ilan Sadeh, Head of the Menashe Regional Council
The award ceremony in Germany will take place on 5 November, 2015, at the Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung in Berlin.
The Human Rights Award, presented for the first time in 1994, dates back to the legacy of Karl and Ida Feist from Hamburg. The couple stipulated in their will that their fortune be administered by the fund, which is to present a Human Rights Award once a year. Karl and Ida Feist actively supported the labour movement for many years. Their own bitter experiences with war and destruction led them to advocate peace and non-violence.
According to the donators, the Human Rights Award should be awarded to individuals or organisations who rendered outstanding services for human rights in the different parts of the world.
More information about the Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung’s Human Rights Prize and about the laureates of the Human Rights Prize can be found at following link: http://www.fes.de/themen/menschenrechtspreis/en/mrp2015.php
For information about the Reasons for nominating Ilan Sadeh and Hassan Atamna who participated in the Shared Communities Project of Givat Haviva, can be found by clicking here.